You Hipmunks are adventurous eaters!
This is a Hipmunk post from Jodi Ettenberg of Legal Nomads
Last week, I asked you Hipmunks ‘what was the worst thing you ate on the road?’, telling my own story of food poisoning from a very tasty llama empanana in Chile. In the post, I asked for your own stories and photos, and many of you contributed here and on the Legal Nomads fan page. In the theme of You Hipmunks are Adventurous Sleepers, here’s what you had to say:
From Robin, some photos after eating snake (including drinking its blood and eating the still-beating heart) from Vietnam:
For the really adventurous, Lawrence Lam shared his video of how they prepared the snake meal from his own trip to Vietnam.
And then Melanie shared these from Taiwan. In her words: “In Taiwan a few weeks ago, I unwittingly ate these. I’m still not sure what they are.”
Some of the other choice eats:
It wasn’t so much taking a bite out of the fried rat that I once ate in a market in Laos that bothered me, and it wasn’t the fact that the rat still had it’s tail and tiny feet attached either. But upon realizing that I just spent a few minutes nibbling on a rat that had dozens of maggots crawling around in its flesh, I naturally had to work real hard to stop myself from vomiting. And to this day, every time I think of that rat or see the one photo I have of it, the rest of my day is ruined.
My worst? By far, wild boar sausages in France. I’ll try anything, and I enjoy gamey meat for the novelty of the flavour. But these? Tasted like rotten meat steeped in battery acid, and I took a really big BITE of the first one. I don’t know if I just caught a few really bad ones, because I haven’t had boar since, for the simple reason that the merest hint of *that* smell closes my throat, instantly.
And some other votes:
- Iguana (both Giuliana and Megan ate this in Nicaragua and both gave it a solid “do not do this again”);
- Beef pupusas in San Salvador, though tasty, made Line pretty ill on a long bus ride to Guatemala City;
- Lamb brain was a big miss from reader Bernard, who tried it in Turkey;
- from Hipmunk’s own Jacqueline: “mine was horse, sushi-style, in Roppongi, japan. Yuck. i am now a vegetarian…”
and finally Chris warned against balut in the Philippines. Having spent 4 months there and eating my fair share, I can agree that it’s an acquired taste – balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. Not for the faint of heart.
Thanks to everyone for your contributions!