How to Navigate Canceled Flights This Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is the busiest time to travel, and unfortunately, flights have been cancelled all over the US due to weather. If you’re in that mix, here are some tips to help relieve the stress and hopefully get you home in time for Thanksgiving:
- Use the Hipmunk Hotel App. Our App is built for last-minute location-based searches. Once you open the app, you’ll see your current location and all of the available hotels near your location.
- Use the Hipmunk Flight App: If you’re at an airport and trying to rebook a new flight, our app allows you to find available flights in the palm of your hand. If you’re in line at customer service, run searches and once you’re at the counter, show them the flight you want.
- If they offer to rebook you on a flight that leaves days later, take it. You’re guaranteed that ticket. If you want to try to leave earlier, just standby on all flights that leave before yours.
- Don’t leave the airport, or get there early every morning. Standby on every flight and hope people don’t show up (it happens!) Or, go to the airport early every morning, because people won’t make it to the airport on time, or have also been moved onto new flights.
- Try other airports. If you’re in a metropolitan area with multiple airports nearby, check out flights at those airports.
- Ask the airline to put you on another airline. This one’s a bit trickier (especially when flights are cancelled due to weather) but it never hurts to ask!
- Put the customer service numbers of your airline and other airlines in your phone before you go to airport. This comes in handy when lines are long. Make calls while in line, and you may be on a new flight before you even get to the counter.
Share these tips with friends or keep them in your back pocket in case your flight is ever cancelled. Be safe Hipmunkers!